Thrive with Autism / Thrive Center for Success
Position location: Greater Houston region (Magnolia / The Woodlands, Texas)
Thrive with Autism plans an innovative, groundbreaking public school to dramatically improve education for children on the autism spectrum. Founded in 2019, Thrive recently earned the support of SBOE and TEA to open the first charter school in the state of Texas dedicated to serving a special-needs population. Thrive’s mission and vision have brought hope to families who desperately want better educational options for their children on the autism spectrum. Thrive plans to open its founding campus near Magnolia, Texas in Fall 2022 serving 108 students Kindergarten through 5th grade, adding a grade level each year to eventually serve up to 12th grade. Thrive plans to open a second campus in central Houston in the near future. The school will be called the Thrive Center for Success.
Thrive seeks an experienced individual with a track record of delivering successful outcomes for children with special needs to serve as LSSP. The LSSP will support Thrive’s vision/mission, model, and programs through supportive services. Thrive is drawing inspiration from a model called CABAS (Comprehensive Application of Behavior Analysis to Schooling). The LSSP will report to the Founding Principal.
- Supports implementation of the CABAS model in the classroom.
- Supports facilitation of ARD meetings.
- Conducts needed assessments that require an LSSP.
- Conduct individual and group therapeutic interventions.
- Screen and implement protocols for situational crisis including bullying, reports of abuse, and suicidal ideation.
- Support implementation of social emotional learning (SEL) curriculum and multi-tiered Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports.
- Participate as part of a TBSI (Texas Behavior Support Initiative) site team.
- Provide Safety Care training to faculty as a certified trainer.
- Provide staff and parent trainings on topics related to school psychology.
- Demonstrates steps taken for professional growth.
- Collaborates with staff to problem solve in crisis situations.
- Facilitates communication and collaboration with building personnel and parents.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Regular Attendance.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Speech/Occupational Therapist
Other duties as assigned
- Complete other implementation projects as assigned by the Executive Director, Principal, and/or Board of Directors.
- Thrive Center for Success will be a start-up school with a small team in the early years. The LSSP will be responsible and accountable for supporting the principal in implementation and may be asked to step into projects not specifically outlined above.
Competencies and Commitments:
- Able to lift 50 pounds, run 100 yards, drop/lift to one knee, go up/down stairs, and pass all physical competencies to be a fully certified Safety Care trainer.
- Passion for the mission of Thrive; demonstrated commitment to equitable educational opportunities for children with special needs and/or learning differences.
- Holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals.
- Ability to set direction and motivate others to action; demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through work with others.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that requires creativity, adaptability, and an orientation to problem-solving.
- Analytical skills; ability to synthesize data to set priorities.
- Exceptional communication and relationship skills; proven experience building relationships with diverse stakeholders and communities.
- Strong work ethic; willingness to work beyond a 40-hour week to serve students.
- Authentic, humble, servant-leader orientation.
- Growth mindset; strong receptiveness to give and receive frequent feedback.
- Willingness to work on some weekends, evenings, or other non-standard business hours, as required by the needs of the school and in accordance with the duties outlined above. Willingness to do “whatever it takes” to serve students and their families at the highest level.
- Self-manage stress and task with excellent organizational skills.
- Flexibility to learn new model and received feedback.
- Maintain a clear criminal record.
Education, Skills, and Work Experience
- TX Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP)
- Preferred supervision/leadership experience
- Preferred public school special education experience
- Knowledge of Applied Behavior Analysis preferred
- Knowledge/experience with autism preferred
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
Thrive with Autism is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Thrive Center for Success’ School Culture & Values
- Every Child Feels Valued
- Celebrate Uniqueness
- Inclusive, Safe Environment
- Welcoming/Nurturing/Positive Environment
- Educating one of us takes all of us
- A “We” Community - Team Oriented
- A “Yes” Community – Look for ways to make it possible. “Why Not”
- Do Whatever It Takes
- Open to Feedback/Constructive Criticism
- Live By Our Values - Servant Leadership