Thrive with Autism / Thrive Center for Success
Position location: Greater Houston region (Magnolia / The Woodlands, Texas)
Thrive with Autism plans an innovative, groundbreaking public school to dramatically improve education for children on the autism spectrum. Founded in 2019, Thrive recently earned the support of SBOE and TEA to open the first charter school in the state of Texas dedicated to serving a special-needs population. Thrive’s mission and vision have brought hope to families who desperately want better educational options for their children on the autism spectrum. Thrive plans to open its founding campus near Magnolia, Texas in Fall 2022 serving 108 students Kindergarten through 5th grade, adding a grade level each year to eventually serve up to 12th grade. Thrive plans to open a second campus in central Houston in the near future. The school will be called the Thrive Center for Success.
Thrive seeks an experienced individual with a track record of delivering successful outcomes for children with special needs to serve as Speech and Language Pathologist. The Speech and Language Pathologist will support Thrive’s vision/mission, model, and programs through supportive services. Thrive is drawing inspiration from a model called CABAS (Comprehensive Application of Behavior Analysis to Schooling). The Speech and Language Pathologist will report to the Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP).
- Supports communication of discipline related topics in ARD meetings.
- Maintain therapy schedule as required by IEPs.
- Provide timely reporting of sessions and progress as required by IEP
- Conducts speech and language assessments as required.
- Provide staff and parent trainings on topics related to speech and language.
- Demonstrates steps taken for professional growth.
- Provides expert consultation to faculty on issues related to speech and language.
- Facilitates communication and collaboration with building personnel and parents.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Regular Attendance.
- Maintain confidentiality.
Other duties as assigned
- Complete other implementation projects as assigned by the Executive Director, Principal, LSSP, and/or Board of Directors.
- Thrive Center for Success will be a start-up school with a small team in the early years. The Speech and Language Pathologist will be responsible and accountable for supporting the school in implementation and may be asked to step into projects not specifically outlined above.
Competencies and Commitments:
- Ability to build rapport with students and provide effective therapeutic interventions.
- Able to build rapport with parents and faculty to provide effective collaboration and consultation.
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn new software technologies.
- Willingness to work in a school setting using an Applied Behavior Analysis model for children.
- Able to lift 50 pounds, run 100 yards, drop/lift to one knee, go up/down stairs, and pass all physical competencies to be a fully certified Safety Care specialist.
- Passion for the mission of Thrive; demonstrated commitment to equitable educational opportunities for children with special needs and/or learning differences.
- Holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals.
- Ability to set direction and motivate others to action; demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through work with others.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that requires creativity, adaptability, and an orientation to problem-solving.
- Analytical skills; ability to synthesize data to set priorities.
- Strong work ethic; willingness to work beyond a 40-hour week to serve students.
- Authentic, humble, servant-leader orientation.
- Growth mindset; strong receptiveness to give and receive frequent feedback.
- Willingness to work on some evenings, or other non-standard business hours, as required by the needs of the school and in accordance with the duties outlined above. Willingness to do “whatever it takes” to serve students and their families at the highest level.
- Self-manage stress and task with excellent organizational skills.
- Flexibility to learn new model and received feedback.
- Maintain a clear criminal record.
Education, Skills, and Work Experience
- Texas Licensed Speech and Language Pathologist
- Public school special education experience highly preferred
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Knowledge of Applied Behavior Analysis and verbal behavior in autism intervention preferred.
- Knowledge and experience using alternative communication systems such as AAC technology, PECS, and sign language a plus.
- Knowledge and experience addressing oral motor and feeding issues a plus.
Thrive with Autism is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Thrive Center for Success’ School Culture & Values
- Every Child Feels Valued
- Celebrate Uniqueness
- Inclusive, Safe Environment
- Welcoming/Nurturing/Positive Environment
- Educating one of us takes all of us
- A “We” Community - Team Oriented
- A “Yes” Community – Look for ways to make it possible. “Why Not”
- Do Whatever It Takes
- Open to Feedback/Constructive Criticism
- Live By Our Values - Servant Leadership